Monday, July 13, 2009

{Me thinks Monday...}

JOYS JOYS JOYS what a week honestly Karsen is such a good, good baby. I hope it lasts!! My problems this week are the non listening other three who are pushing every limit there is... granted I don't overly blame them there have been so many fast changes ...
Joys of parenthood right...
We still get the most important things done, and were working together to figure out our actions and consequences its working well.. {sarcasm}
Other then that we are just kind of laying low at home
I did take all FOUR kids to the pool for 4 hours on friday crazy to say the least but they had so much fun and thats what mattered most to me. Tired them right out and they all slept really good.
Really I'm just enjoying watching my kids grow and interact with each other
the moments where there not fighting ha ha
How loving and willing to help with Kars they are so good with him and love him to bits!!
Moments like watching Kolt help teach lauren to ride a two wheeler and pumping up a tire for her...
or Kolt reading to the kids
watching all three figure out how to play a little game without getting mad at each other and sitting there listening and watching while feeding Karsen and thinking how blessed I feel to have these three cute little kids...
Life as we know it right....
Live, Laugh, Love
and Learn...
through our mistakes, our trials and everyday life..
that's what its all about!
----------------------------
Sleeping K2 in all his cuteness...we just love him!!
Silly three that I love and adore too..

and
Little Lauren sidewalk chalkin it...
--------------------------
ME Thinks
A couple of kids think
I'm the meanest mom ever
Lets list the reason's why:
I ask that they clean up the toy room/bedrooms
once in awhile
hummm I don't let my kids play outside before 10am so we can get a few things done in the morning like breakfast and baths, prayers and pickup?
oh and I don't let them play on the street
where cars drive I prefer they play in the back yard but thats just me I guess...
I want them to come in before 7pm
so we can have stories and dinner and prayers, scriptures you know wind down and clean up....
I sometimes feel like I'm the only mean mom on the street
who has a few guidelines and sometimes it looks like my kids are the
deprived secret garden boy looking longingly out the window at some of the neighbor kids playing till dark
I know its summer but ...still
boundaries ?? routine ?? privacy??
{I know move to the country get a fence some gates and locks oh and some grass I know I know...}
Let's see cause we do chores on Saturday mornings and then we get to play.. some work some play.. That is so mean!!
I'm a mean mom cause I don't let my 3 year old just leave the house anytime he wants and roam the neighborhood or the next door neighbors house anytime he feels like {Although he already does this he just thinks he can anytime he wants..}
I'm mean cause I don't let my kids go where ever they feel like going without telling me where they are...
Oh a classic cause I don't let them eat ice cream for breakfast that is so mean...
I'm sure I could think of a few more but I have to ask
Am I MEAN?
I secretly think they just might be a few other mean mom's out there too...
SO {some of this poem has to do with all grown up kids but it applies...}

To all you Mean Mom's.
Someday when my children are old enough to
understand the logic that motivates a parent, I will
tell them, as my Mean Mom told me: I loved you
enough to ask where you were going, with whom,
and what time you would be home.

I loved you enough to be silent and let you
discover that your new best friend was a creep.

I loved you enough to make you go pay for the
bubble gum you had taken and tell the clerk,
"I
stole this yesterday and want to pay for it."

I loved you enough to stand over you for
two hours
while you cleaned your room,
a job that should have
taken 15 minutes.

I loved you enough to let you see anger,
disappointment, and tears in my eyes.
Children must
learn that their parents aren't perfect.

I loved you enough to let you assume the responsibility for your actions even when the
penalties were so harsh they almost broke my heart.

But most of all, I loved you enough . . . to say
NO when I knew you would hate me for it.

Those were the most difficult battles of all. I'm
glad I won them, because in the end you won, too.
And someday when your children are old enough to
understand the logic that motivates parents, you
will tell them.

Was your Mom mean? I know mine was. We had the
meanest mother in the whole world! While other kids
ate candy for breakfast, we had to have cereal,
eggs, and toast. When others had a Pepsi and a
Twinkie for lunch, we had to eat sandwiches. And you
can guess our mother fixed us a dinner that was
different from what other kids had, too.

Mother insisted on knowing where we were at all times.
You'd think we were convicts in a prison. She

had to know who our friends were, and what we were
doing with them. She insisted that if we said we
would be gone for an hour, we would be gone for an
hour or less.

We were ashamed to admit it, but she had the nerve
to break the Child Labor Laws by making us work. We
had to wash the dishes, make the beds, learn to cook,
vacuum the floor, do laundry, empty the trash
and
all sorts of cruel job
s. I think she would lie

awake at night thinking of more things for us to do.

She always insisted on us telling the truth, the
whole truth, and nothing but the truth. By the time
we were teenagers, she could read our minds and had
eyes in the back of her head. Then, life was really
tough!

Because of our mother we missed out on lots of
things other kids experienced. None of us have ever
been caught shoplifting, vandalizing other's
property or ever arrested for any crime. It was all
her fault.

Now that we have left home, we are all educated,
honest adults. We are doing our best to be mean
parents just like Mom was.

I think that is what's wrong with the world today.
It just doesn't have enough mean moms!

What do you think??
Have a great week!

25 comments:

Lynn said...

I guess you could call me a MEAN mom too. And I am HAPPY to admit it!! ; D

Love your Me thinks. The neighborhood kids soon learned to not come knocking at our house when they first moved here, on Saturday mornings. My kids are BUSY BUSY! LOL!

Routines. I love them. But you know what? So do KIDS! They just don't know it. They do however SHOW it!

Glad to hear that things are settling in with new baby and all. I had to chuckle. "K2".....I was just thinking that other day how you were going to do that. He is SO cute!!! He fits right in with all the cuteness going on at YOUR house. ; )

Betsy said...

I must be a mean mom, too. But that's okay with me. I have to do what I feel is right for my family. They will hopefully understand one day! :)

Karsen is the CUTEST thing!!!! I know you are so in love with him.

Anonymous said...

Makenna thinks I'm super mean -- I am getting the classic comments lately like "Well those kids get to...." or "Why do they get to .... and I have to ....?" I tell her it's because our family does things different, and unless she wants to go live with the Hutterites to stop complaining. haha! You're a great mom, and I am so excited for your new little one -- enjoy every moment!

Mandy said...

I didn't realize until now how similar you and I are in the rules/guidelines we have for our child(ren). Although I do let Tanner play outside before 10am if that's what he wants to do because he's done eating and dressed and brushed his teeth. I HATE HATE HATE when Tanner leaves the house without telling me first that he's going outside. I like to know where he is. We do the Saturday cleaning thing too! I grew up that way and I think it's such a good idea. You are NOT a mean Mom at all. I think you are an amazing Mom and an even more amazing person. I really look up to you and even though we're not in the same ward anymore, I really am so inspired by the things you share on your blog and when I see you. You are great and I know that the other 3 kids will settle down soon enough. Just stick to your routines and it will come. Good luck in the meantime.

Jocelyn said...

I get called "the meanest mom around" all the time. I tell them I am proud of that because it means I love them. It is really sad when I am out and I see parents give into their childs every request. I am SO happy to have another mean mom around! It's not something that is always fun, but I hope when they are old enough, they will realize that it really is for the best for them. Congratulations on being a mean mom. Your kids have no clue how lucky they are!
Jocelyn

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

I think that mean mom's rock.
I loved the poem. I love your blog.
I love that you have a newborn and can still keep up with it! Your kids must be the Fab Four!!!
I hope to meet your darling addition soon...I'll bring gifts...for everyone. (How's that for bribery?!)
You all look so happy. I just love it.

Anonymous said...

you are the meanest mom ever. i hope to be like you one day and am working on it.

Shauna said...

Hurray for mean moms!! I am glad I am not the only one in this world, because it seems like I am the only one on my street anyway!! Our kids will be better because of us in the long run.

Shauna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

Yep, I'm a meany too. You should have seen my kids working yesterday, we weeded the farm's pumpkin patch for 2 hours, on our hands and knees.

Amy said...

Yep, I'm a meany too. You should have seen my kids working yesterday, we weeded the farm's pumpkin patch for 2 hours, on our hands and knees.

Alison said...

CHRISTAL!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! I haven't been in blog-land for awhile and holy cow I've missed a lot in your life!!! I am SOOOOO HAPPY for you and your new little addition! He is ADORABLE!!!! I am sitting here crying after reading your story and how it all came to be. It just makes me so happy! I'm glad he's such a good baby and that you are all so in love with him. I wish I could give you all a big hug, so imagine me at your house giving you all a big one! Lots of love to you and your family and sweet little Karsen!

Amanda said...

Oh I LOVE it!!

Christal said...

alison I miss you!!! I always wonder what your up to!! Thanks so much and hope your family is doing great!!!!

Judy said...

OH YOU ARE MEAN! I LOVE THIS. AS I LOOK BACK, I REALIZE THAT I WAS SOOOO MEAN, BUT AS THE KIDS GOT OLDER THEY WANTED TO HANG OUT AT OUR HOUSE. SO DID SOME OF THEIR FRIENDS. I THINK IT WAS BECASUE THEY FELT SAFE. THEY KNEW THERE WERE BOUNDRIES AND ORDER. YOU ARE THE BEST. THAT LITTLE ONE IS SO SWEET!!!! LOVE YOU ALL!

the fellers said...

wow, that was an awesome poem...I want to be a mean mom...I hope I am, even though my kids are young, they still have to pick up their toys and listen to me....hopefully they will turn out ok, something just are not ok with me, and I am pretty stubborn most of the time when it comes to my kids! You are such a good mom....reading those reasons why you are the meanest mom I was thinking, "wow, I need to be better at doing that! and that! oh and that too!!"

Good job, oh and your kids are ADORABLE!

Susie said...

go team mean mom! I still can't believe that you were out with your 4 kids on that crazy rain day.Honestly, I'm in awe. So glad to see you and the tiny little guy.

Shelley said...

I love it! Did my kids and your kids make that list together 'cause I'm a mean mom for lot's of those very same reasons. Life's tough when mom loves you isn't it! Your cute kids are so lucky to have such a "mean" mom :)

Anonymous said...

Holy cow you get a lot of comments! I love your post, mean moms are the best. I posted some pics of Karsen (hope that's okay). He is a beautiful boy! Congratulations again!

midnight hysteria said...

oook ... miss christal ... you can be the meanest mom you want, BUT ... there is always gramma commin' to visit and they get ice cream for breakfast or, pretty much, anything they want ... LOL LOL LOL ... you remember how mean your mom and i were when you guys were growing up? i WAS the meanest mom on the block, but gramma, well, that's a different story ...so be mean, but let gramma spoil them all she wants (and grampa, too!) congratulations on the new little one, he's darling ...

Sharon said...

7pm?????? Why so late???? 7pm in our house is the time of "last-call-no-more-excuses-lights-out-goodnight"! Buy a house on this street so our kids can be losers together. Susanne and I have already decided that our kids will be the school outcasts because we won't let them spend 24/7 on sports that mean nothing after grad, but that's a whole other post. Nice to hear your kids are pushing limits too - no threat of shaken baby syndrome around here, but the likelihood of something happening to my 2 or 4 year old increases each day. Matty's chosen behaviour is to hit his sister for every little thing, and with Tyler home this first week....well, you just don't mistreat a girl in front of him, even if you are only 4. Keep being mean and if they have any problems, send them my way and I'll show them just how mean a mom can be!

Jackie S. said...

**Raising hand** Can I be part of the mean mom's club, cause I totally fit in!!! :) Loved the poem, it makes me feel better to know that Nate & Rylan aren't going to be the only "weirdos" on the block...hehe. Love hearing that Karsen is such a good baby, you deserve it!!

lisa slocombe said...

mean mom, here too!!!
even though it hurts to be called one by my kids, it means i'm doing things right :)

The Lowry's said...

So I along with all the rest including you are mean. I think mean mom's are good. One of the girls (4years old)from down the street asked if Jaycie could go to the park. she was with another girl who was 7, but still what if someone got hurt or some guy came and took them, yes i worry about that even in little raymond. I wouldn't let her go since there was no adult and Bryce was sleeping so i couldn't come. Sometimes it surprises me what people will let their kids do and won't. But each to their own. I am proud to be a mean mom as well and dido your rules.

Christal said...

lisa oh my gosh!! it's been forever!! You probably won't even read this but how are you where are you nowadays?? Its been so long since our saskatoon days! Anyway don't know how to reply other then here but so glad you commented!!! hopefully ttys