Friday, April 27, 2012

(Thankful Thursday and a giveaway:) )

I just finished reading this book......it might possibly be one of the most  straight to the heart books I've ever read.... probably the most I've cried too....maybe because like so many of you we share the same values, same faith, same dreams for our lives & families.... for our children and husbands...and when I was finished I was reminded of all the very most important things in life...that we have a Heavenly Father who loves us and watches over us, that our children and families are the very most important parts of life....that the smallest things are the biggest things....
some of my favorite quotes by Stephanie Nielson in this book are at the end:

"Because I have faith in something larger than myself-faith that God has a plan for me.That belief is a source of inner strength that leads me to peace, comfort, and the courage to cope, even when I don't really feel like coping."

".....The true source of happiness, self worth and authentic beauty doesn't come from the outside. Women are constantly being persuaded to want something unachievable, to look younger or thinner and above all to fit in because looking different is to painful and embarrassing. I have accepted myself in a world that does not accept me, because I have learned and more than any of the lessons of my accidents, this is the one I wish I could teach everybody-that our hearts matter most. Your heart matters most, so be gentler and more patient with yourself, and their hearts matter most,too, so be kinder and more compassionate to others. Its a beautiful heart, not a perfect body, that leads to a beautiful life."

"Happiness was my choice, and though it is hard won, I am the only person who can stand in the way of it."

"The more we make the choice to see and feel JOY, the more joy there is to see and to feel."


...I have cried, laughed, and cried some more reading her book and have felt so so grateful for the blessings and ever more thankful for what I am and what I have....especially the
little things I take for granted..little things like being home with my kids everyday or  moving my body or having our health....which becomes a big thing when you can`t or don't have any control over that....big things like my children.... their innocence..... their life before us and those that made things happen....
I learned that
 I may not be the most beautiful, skinniest, most talented person out there by a long shot....... but I have what matters most......despite any of things that don`t matter............and only matter in a `worldly way`
I have 
 a family that loves me and knows me..
I have 
a husband and children that love me and are mine for eternity..
I have 
a body that works and moves and is healthy
I have
faith, a testimony and a plan for my life here and hereafter laid in place for me if I make right choices..... how beautiful is that....
I have 
so much to be thankful for. I have laundry to fold, a full table and dinner to make, I have fingerprints on my walls and toys in my tub....and all of  it means I have children to watch grow and before I know it they will be gone.....
 I am so THANKFUL for the menial tasks of everyday that bring the greatest JOY to me and I may not fully recognize it or realize it some days.... because its hard..... but looking back 
I will cherish every load of laundry I've done 
and every pile of clothes I folded
and every favorite snack I've made that brought a big smile
and every soccer/football/basketball game I attended, 
and every ache I hug away, 
and every wet kiss for every hurt they run to me for....
because it is all of these things that matter most not the big huge exciting moments but every little day to day simple thing.....that matter most...

While I was reading this book I couldn`t help but feel like it was everything I`ve ever wanted in life too ...
the kind of life that dreams are made of 
as a child playing house or
a teenager daydreaming and fantasizing about....
the kind of life where I only wanted
to get married ..find the perfect man for me....have 8 perfect little kids 
...live the white picket fence life.... 
I dreamed about it, wanted it and craved it....just like in the book Stephanie wanted the same things that so many of us do....and I think that is what makes her book so relate able
I didn`t care to have a big degree or work...
I just wanted a good, solid, strong faithful husband and a houseful of kids and to have a life full of love and happiness together.... 
{preferably trial free in my naive mind of youth.}
I always thought I was born to early..... I too love the laid back kind of life of olden days....I love the apron wearing mother who`s kids play outside all day long and things are more hands on....kind of life....
of course we don`t really live in that kind of ERA but we do the best we can to bring that into our lives....especially the values of old.... which shouldn`t be old because thats what made them the good "old" days...
.....but along the way I`ve learned that we all have trials...THAT LIFE FOR SURE DOESN'T work out the way we dream it will and that trials come in many different shapes and forms for each one of us....they are never what we DREAMED of, they are never what we wish for  and they are never easy.... 
some looking in may think they are easier than others or their own trials...... 
but we have no idea what people go through..
our white picket lives become a bit more rough & weathered and a little less bright white 
a little more real life than the perfect picture in our heads.....
through our trials and as each year goes by....we learn that
the human spirit is an amazing, amazing blessing a strength we didn't know we could have but on the other so is attitude and deciding to take what is given us and do something about it...in the process we learn everything we can from it....because if we don`t it weathers us, wears us down and makes us unhappy.... 
we can find strength and find joy in everyday things if we make that choice....I learned that even more as I read this book....
I am thankful for what I have learned and am learning through each trial in my own life and through watching others in their lives...I  am thankful that through others lives I  can learn to be more thankful for the simple things in life that we all take for granted.
This book is a beautiful reminder of all that is good....all that is worth fighting for....... that our Heaven is HERE if we decide we are going to make it that way because one way or the other the choice is always ours...
Chose to be thankful.
{"Insofar as Heaven is a joyful place filled with people you love, and where you feel peaceful and genuinely happy, then it's true.
Heaven is right here."} -S.N
---------------------------------
Read the book.
SO because I loved this book so much and maybe you won`t as much but I personally loved it and I like to share the things I love.......SO ENTER for YOUR CHANCE TO WIN ONE I`LL DRAW ON MAY 2ND  
{because thats mine and D`s anniversary and this whole book is  about TRUE LOVE, trials, strength & triumph real life.....:)
SO ....enter away....
ps....now is your chance to come out of the lurker closet too ha ha:)
Tell me one thing that matters most...
that has changed your life for the better:)
or an everyday joy.....
and have an awesome weekend...
♥♥♥♥♥♥

26 comments:

M said...

One thing that matters so much much to me was the eventual realization that even though there will only be the two of us, we are still a FAMILY. A small family, but a family.

Kim said...

I can't wait to read this book!!! And reading your blog has made me even more excited!! Of course my family matters most, but the blessings of the temple make it even that much better! Knowing that we'll be together forever...that we've been sealed for time and all eternity. Really that's the greatest blessing. :)

Holly said...

We are SO much a like I can't even believe it I was totally thinking about how much I love this book too, and was also thinking about doing a giveaway for it on the blog sometime before Mother's day... but I didn't get to it as goes most things in my life these days! Good luck to everyone! It's an amazing inspiring book! ♥ ya christal!

Judy said...

As my trials continue, I am trying to be grateful for them. I think I have learned patience, love and endurance. My family matters the MOST to me. I would love the book. i think she is amazing,.

CASSIE said...

Having "UNCONDITIONAL LOVE for one's family & friends" are very important to me...

It's only a nice quote until you're brave enough to make it a quality-quality ♥

Thoughtful post :)

~Diana~ said...

My own little family has changed my life and matters the most to me. My husband is my soul mate and totally gets me. My sweet little 18 month old daughter has brought so much joy into our lives. Just this past week she has started calling me "MA." She's said the word for a long time but not to call me. Hearing her say "ma" just melts my heart. It so tender seeing my husband be a daddy! Really I could go on and on.

I enjoy your blog and love your perspective in life. You are amazing! Thanks for your inspired words!

Kinsey said...

Being a mom matters more to me than I ever realized it would. I've been blown away by the experience of having a child and I am so anxious to be the best mom I can for her.

Jocelyn said...

I have wanted to read it but have not read it yet. I love your blog post about the book. We do have much to be grateful for. I am grateful for the opportunity to change my mind and have my heart open when I didn't think it could be.

Tisha said...

As much as I LOVE my family and they mean the world to me, the thing that matters most to me is the knowledge that I can choose joy in any circumstance! It is SO important to me to teach my children that, even though life doesn't always turn out the way you want/hope/plan, you can still choose to be joyful!

Mostly Jessica said...

My kids. They are THE best. Thanks for the giveaway - have a great weekend!

LindsayB said...

what a great post. i love my relationships i have with people. does that make sense? my friends and all my family are so important to me and i don't take our relationships lightly. but frankly my husband is at the top of the list and always will be! and my kids bring me and derek the everyday joys! i don't think i've ever been so cheesy before.

Mandy said...

One thing that has changed my life for the better is some great advice I got. It was that a person doesn't need to feel accepted by others to feel worthy. So many of us try to please other people to look good but when you get to that point where it just comes naturally without any thought of reciprocation, that's when you know that you have a beautiful heart. It shouldn't matter what other people think of you because although we are taught to be kind and loving, as long as you're doing your best, it's up to the Lord to decide weather our actions qualify us for what's most important. Charity (which to me is a pure form of love) is the pure love of Christ and if peole are judging you, or you're judging other people then that's not quite pure love, is it? I really loved conference and although I haven't read this book, it sounds like there are a lot of things we just heard in conference in this book. What a truly great and amazing blessing we have to have the gospel and to have the gift of repentance and the atonement to become better people. Sorry if that sounds preachy. Not one of us is perfect and that's okay. The thing that matters most is that we are pleasing the one person that truly matters most and that is God. Of course it's so nice to be able to please our family as well, because they are really important too.
Great Post!

Mandy said...

A person doesn't need to BE accepted....not feel...oops.

Sharon said...

How convenient - reading your post I put that book on my list of ones to buy - which I will do if I don't win...I've spent the last 2 days holed up in our office getting some contract work done while Daddy is the Mommy looking after things. Tonight when I tucked the kids in I went to write on their calendar/journal in their rooms and I realized I had no idea what they had done that day. What funny things they said or what new foods they tried or what ouchies they got. It made me so grateful that I get to spend the days with them, even in all the craziness and crankiness that comes with it.

Lynn said...

" we have no idea what people go through..
our white picket lives become a bit more rough & weathered and a little less bright white
a little more real life than the perfect picture in our heads....."

Amen to that! Beautiful post Christal. And as always...I believe your already have the most beautiful heart ever. It matches your beauty on the outside.

Have an awesome weekend!

Kayli said...

Everyday joy- light in the windows (everyday that is, except lame-o rainy days! ha).

Becca said...

Great Post. I really want to read this book, so I hope I can win it!! The things that matter most to me, are my two great children and my husband! They mean the world to me!! Thanks!
Becca

Alison said...

I echo Lynn, Christal, you have the most beautiful heart. I wish we could be neighbors! I think you are amazing. Truly, truly amazing.

One thing I'm learning right now, it seems like I have to learn it over and over again, is to treasure each moment. Sometimes I try to run looking for happiness, but happiness is right where I am, if I look for it. The small moments are always the best. The small simple sweet moments are the ones I like to remember and are the ones that bring a smile and a warmth to my heart at the end of the day. My constants quest is to treasure these small ordinary moments.

Love ya!

Jill said...

I'd love to win it! I love your blog Christal and all your quotes too.

Jaime said...

I love new books to read! Thanks for the giveaway. One of my everyday joys right now is watching my boys be best friends to each other, they are the perfect age right now. If only I could freeze time.

Kristyn said...

I just ordered a couple of copies of this book for gifts. I'm excited to read it. Sounds like my kind of book. Right now the thing that matter most and what makes me want to be better is my little family. Three beautiful girls need my time and love (also one handsome Mr. too of course).
I may be ordering more copies to give away, sounds like a book we all could learn from. Love ya!

Holli said...

I would love to read this book and feel uplifted and strengthened by someone whos been through so much. Thanks for sharing. Make it happen sister! hee

Susie said...

watching my girls learn, grow and play together is my greatest joy right now. I can't help but smile when they do things together. I want to pinch myself cause I feel so lucky to be a mom to my three littles. Happy Anni tomorrow ours is today!

Carrie said...

Being a mom is the greatest blessing and trial (at least right now) I've ever had. Two little babies can be so overwhelming and exhausting mentally and physically but I remind myself daily that I wouldn't want anything else. My children and husband are the most important thing in my life and I guess another blessing I have each day is knowing my husband will be home soon to help me make it through when I feel like I'm at my wits end ;)

Rayanna Hogg said...

Looks like a fabulous book! What matters most... well every minute of every day! Not taking anything or anyone for granted! Family, great friends and the Gospel are what make me who I am and make me cherish everything!

Just Rhonda said...

hmm if I don't win can I borrow yours?? :) I want to read it!! My family & the Gospel matter most. Everything else is just nice extras!