Monday, January 12, 2009

{Finally an update and ME THINKS MONDAY!!!....}

So nice to get back on here finally got things worked out with the computer what a mess but so nice to have back! I'm excited to get back to blogging I miss it!!
Anyway first thanks for all the nice comments and birthday wishes I feel spoiled just by the emails and facebook messages and comments on here it was a nice weekend. D was in SLC for three days Thursday to Sat and got back on Saturday right in time, cause I had about had it with computers, grouchy kids and overwhelmingly tired kids.
I needed a good break.
So my birthday was about as good as a mom birthday gets you know vacuumed the floors, did the dishes, kids got up at five {why i have no idea} made them breakfast listened to them fight all morning {probably cause they got up to early ya think??!}
But in the end it turned out to be a nice date night we went to dinner and shopped then we went to see the movie Seven Pounds - good movie you will bawl! for the first bit you wonder what the heck is going on but by the end your sobbing! My sister Dawna made it a nice day for me too! Thanks DJ love you!
And on Sunday we celebrated with the kids cause you know they think its not a birthday without some candles to blow out and some cake and presents so we did that on Sunday and they were happy.
SO things are getting back to some routine.
Here are a few things we have been up to have read some really good books in my no computer life! Accomplished some projects around the house that have been waiting to be done.
Built some snowmen and played alot with the kids

This book was so good! Its where the idea of one good thing from last post came from
Recovering Charles by Jason F Wright

same guy who wrote Christmas Jars so you know its good!

Finally got my vinyl up in my bathroom " Life is to be enjoyed not just endured" a nice reminder everyday!Not the best picture of my door but I finally got my welcome vinyl up I love the way it turned out!

Some snow man building fun Masen loved it!


And the Lego building boy who would probably do it all day and night if I let him he loves it!! And little miss feisty independent girl back to ballet!

-----------------------


ME THINKS MONDAY

is on
Parenting and Positivity

When my kids become wild and unruly, I use a nice, safe playpen. When they're finished, I climb out. ~Erma Bombeck {some days!}
---------------
I got a few phone calls and comments on what I wrote in my last post about strong willed kids and what someone said to me about a certain 2 year old. I've been thinking alot about it over the past week that made me think and made me glad that I'm really not alone in how I feel and that it happens to alot of moms and people out there. Like other mothers or people in general, PEOPLE judge to quickly or say rude, hurtful things without thinking how it might have come across or just without thinking at all. Doesn't matter what it is.
People have no idea what we've been through in our lives, or how our kids act or what works and doesn't but somebody always seems to have something to say.
I know we all have thoughts sometimes about others kids and how they are acting, but really none of us are perfect parents or perfect people. A lot of the time in regards to kids we CANNOT control the way our children act we are working on it, have worked on it, but they all come to this earth with their own personalities and some are a lot more vocal, busy and passionate about life then others.
Sometimes it feels like we can't even take them places because it disrupts others so bad, or a spiritual setting becomes a silent and sometimes not so silent war zone, and really its no fun trying to keep them quiet or restrain them its more work then its worth sometimes.
Good thing they are so cute and that we LOVE them so much. Cause some days....
I really feel like sometimes its me that feels embarrassed.
It makes me "feel" like others are thinking what a bad parent I am or that I need to take my kid elsewhere or the "looks" that some people give or the comments you over hear. When really its the feelings inside that makes us feel bad, makes us cry, makes us wish maybe they would slow down a tiny bit, that we could go places where they wouldn't run away or pull everything off the shelves or sit quietly on our laps or talk quietly without shouting. Maybe its our ideal of what we think should be happening or why can't they act more like their brothers or sisters.
When for the most part KIDS ARE KIDS.
Really its not our parenting in most cases its that every kid comes one way or another with an ingrained personality that makes them and us who we are, out of my three kids my two year old is the extreme definition of what a two year old does and maybe the other two were just the not so busy end of the description of a two year old.
We just need to take each day as it is, each situation as it comes and work the best we can to improve the things we can and really enjoy it because chances are they will grow out of it anyway and be strong leaders.
and one day you're gonna miss this--- someday.

THis is WHO THEY are --- we try our best and move on with what works with our kids we know them best! We love them and are all working on being the best we can.
Besides wouldn't it be boring if every kid was the same? there are quiet, shy kids there are noisy, busy kids, there are outgoing, calm helpful kids thats the joy of being parents, teachers and people we are all different and UNIQUE all in our own ways from infancy to old age.

-------
A couple of comments from the last post jumped out at me they are so true and I hope they help you as much as they did me, thanks guys:

"..... I've wanted to tell people to just walk a little in my shoes, and see if you can do it any better. We as Mothers can be so hard on ourselves, and we don't need others adding to that! Kids are kids. Each of them comes with their own personalities, and i think that's what's so wonderful about them. They're all unique. " ---skye

"I just try to remember that I'm doing my best to work on these things with him and that nobody else has the right to tell me whether my parenting is good or bad. Heavenly Father knows that I'm trying my hardest, and that's all that matters to me." ---anyonmous
-------------------

There is only one Judge.
We just do our best and thats all that matters.

---------------------

If I had my child to raise all over again,
I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.
I'd finger-paint more, and point the finger less.
I would do less correcting and more connecting.
I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
I'd do more hugging and less tugging.
~Diane Loomans,
WE NEED TO DO MORE OF THIS NOW...

-------------------
BECAUSE BEFORE WE KNOW IT THEY WILL BE GONE
A child enters your home and for the next twenty years makes so much noise you can hardly stand it. The child departs, leaving the house so silent you think you are going mad. ~John Andrew Holmes

-----------------------------

Have a great week! Make it count.

9 comments:

Sharon said...

I LOVE the Erma Bomback quote - definitely applicable on many, many days. Saturday I had just about had enough with a certain 3 year old and Tyler said "How about a date?"

"Perfect" I thought "Get me away from his disobedient cheekiness for awhile"

But...Tyler meant I should go on a date with the boy, and initially I was disappointed. But we did - just to Safeway for food and Canadian Tire for storage stuff, and I got him a windup flashlight because he goes through batteries like crazy! In the checkout line I crouched down to tell him that the flashlight was his treat for our date (instead of the usual meal or candy) and he gave me the biggest hug. So forgiving of green-monster-mommy!

You enjoy your kids Christal and don't worry about others - they just don't know you like we do - that you give everything your all, kid-raising included!

Anonymous said...

I NEEDED this today Christal. Thank-you. I just finished trying to get a little determined one down for a nap.(it's been a struggle lately, the whole sleeping thing in general)she has had such a hard time adjusting to the move and with the new babe.It's hard to be patient and know what to do sometimes. We love her to pieces, it just gets so hard sometimes. It is so nice to hear that you aren't the only one dealing with or have dealt with determined children. Your so right it would be so boring if all kids were the same. I wouldn't want mine to change, this is who they are. By the way I love your two year old, he is a true boy!!! thanks again. hope you have a good week. love ya!
(hope this made sense, my other baby needs me and I can't proof)

Skye said...

Love love love this post....You write perfectly what i'm thinking and feeling. Loves it! I'm sure you are one amazing Mom!!!!

Betsy said...

Hi Christal! So much to write about today...let's see...first of all I love your new background! I was wanting a new background too and have had some trouble with cutestblogontheblock, so I used a new one from the blogfairy this time (since I saw it on here!)

Your pictures are so cute...especially Masen and the snowmen!!

And your vinyls look awesome!! I LOVE those!

Finally, don't you worry a minute about having rowdy or active kids. You are a WONDERFUL mom and your kids are precious. We are all just doing the best we can and trying to honor God with our parenting, right?

You should feel confident that you are doing a great job!!! I hope you have a good week!! :)

DJ said...

I too think your kids are great the way they are. Plus I have one of those over excited, passionate about life kids too--as you well know. This post was awesome as are all of yours. I love your blog background too. Very nice, simple, and clean looking! I love that boy of yours and wouldn't change a thing about him. Most of us need to think twice before we talk and especially before we judge another. You're a good mom--doing the best you know how just like the rest of us. Love you lots Chris. And I'm glad you didn't mind my LATE visit on your bday! It was great to see and visit with you too. Talk to you soon. We need to get our crazies together soon--let em dook it out on their own somewhere--get out all their energy on each other!! Later Babe. Deej

Lynn said...

LOVE your NEW blog look! So classy!

Love your new vinyls too! Sure wish I knew how to do some of that stuff on my own. I need the equipment though.

SO glad D made it back for your birthday! Oh my goodness it was like reading my own blog ...(Yes, I know...I REALLY need to catch up!) Maybe I should just copy and paste a few things from this post. Ha HA!

First....my D and I went to see Seven Pounds TOO! It was the first movie we've been to in a LONG time! I freaked when I read you had been to it. I BAWLED AND BAWLED!!!

I got the book Recovering Charles on my bed side table. I REALLY need to find some time to read it. Sounds like it will be so good.

One son playing with lego and a daughter starting back up in Ballet. Me too! SEE! I need to just copy and paste. LOL!

Thanks for your ME THINKS! THAT WAS AWESOME! You are SO bang on! Every single word!!!!!!

Love ya!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY AGAIN!

Holly said...

Christal... wow, you have a way with words. I think you are completely amazing! I WANT to be more like you when it comes to parenting. I do! To me you seem to have it very much together! Thanks for the reminders, the great quotes. ANd girl... you have a great eye for vinyl. You should sale it! I LOVE all of it!!! I want to walk through your house, give us some design tips, because I think you have such a cute style! Thanks again for your great posts, I often save yours for last to read, so I end on a really positive note! :)

Kim said...

I love reading your blog!! It always gives me so much inspiration and reminds me that I'm not alone in the way I feel sometimes...I just love your quotes! And I love your welcome on your door. I wanted to do that, but of course it's just another project that I've never gotten around to. I'll have to get that book too. I've been reading a lot lately and am always up for good book suggestions. Thanks for the nice comments on my blog too. It really means a lot knowing that you've been through similar experiences. We are so blessed in our lives to have these sweet children...that teach us so much and help us to learn and grow. Yes, there will always be days when it gets difficult but it is alway worth it. I would never give up one single crazy, busy day with Ryker...after all they are only little once and in the blink of an eye it seems they will be grown up and not need us in the same ways. You really are an inspiration.... Thanks :) And p.s. happy belated birthday!!

Alison said...

Christal you are the best! You always share such great thoughts and encouragement for all us moms out there. Having kids is hard and no one is perfect but we all just keep trying, that is the important part. I think you are an AMAZING mom!

Your house is gorgeous, like Holly I want a tour! And I'm glad you had a nice birthday, I've been wanting to see that movie too. Dinner out is always the best. Happy 33!