Thursday, September 30, 2010

{Thankful Thursday...}

Today is D's birthday 
and I can't even express how thankful I am for him
and to be his forever wife and go on this journey called life together...
so I give you 36 D facts.....

  1. I am blessed with a husband who works extra hard
  2. is an amazing father to our children
  3. willing to help anyone and everyone at anytime
  4. makes me laugh all. the. time except when he annoys me ;)
  5. is an immaculate organizer of all things
  6. gives each calling and position in the church everything he's got plus some
  7. is honorable
  8. loves to water ski which we will be doing today {COLD} but its something he wants to do cause he's never done it on his birthday
  9. he loves his family, 
  10. he takes time to play
  11. he is aware of others
  12. he teaches his sons the important things in life but especially by example
  13. he is smart has a masters degree 
  14. he is humble
  15. he is a great boss I'd want a boss like him if I was an employee
  16. he is fair and  looks for the best options in a situation
  17. hardly ever even gets mad
  18. is fairy even tempered like his dad
  19. is fun loves to ski
  20. likes to landscape and garden
  21. takes the kids on walks
  22. and jumps on the trampoline with them they love it!!
  23. spends individual time with each of the children
  24. has been to four colleges and universities and has 2 degrees
  25. and did it all on scholarships so we did it all with no debt!!
  26. is great at understanding when I need out...
  27. hates to shop :(
  28. barely gets sick can count on my hand the amount of times he has been sick in 14 years
  29. served a mission for the church to Dublin, Ireland 
  30. Knows what is important in this life
  31. balances work family and church all the time and does a good job
  32. grew up on a feedlot 
  33. he has 8 brothers and sisters and some pretty incredible parents
  34. has a published article and thesis that is read all over the world in the cattle ream of things...
  35. has four awesome kids
  36. and one girl who feels so blessed and lucky to be called his wife...
Happy Birthday D I love you...
-------------------------
I am Thankful for the sense of  smell
The sense of smell can be extraordinarily evocative, bringing back pictures as sharp as photographs of scenes that had left the conscious mind.
-- Thalassa Cruso
 
Nothing is more memorable than a smell. One scent can be unexpected, momentary and fleeting, yet conjure up a childhood summer beside a lake in the mountains; another, a moonlit beach; a third, a family dinner of pot roast and sweet potatoes during a myrtle-mad August in a Midwestern town. Smells detonate softly in our memory like poignant land mines hidden under the weedy mass of years. Hit a tripwire of smell and memories explode all at once. A complex vision leaps out of the undergrowth.
-- Diane Ackerman
 
smell and memories are synonyms almost because there are certain smells that bring me right back to a certain memory.... some as young as five years old, I know cause I can see it and smell it but I have no pictures of it...
They are
 
The smell of cucumbers 
 
reminds me of sitting in a circle in kindergarten for snack time and somebodies mom brought cucumbers cheese and crackers i still can see the plate being passed around maybe I thought there would be none left for me who knows why but it always reminds me of kindergarten....
--------------------------------
The smell of dill and fresh peas from the garden
 
reminds me of my grandpa and grandma M. they always had an awesome garden and sometimes my grandpa would take us down to get peas from the garden and it always smelled of dill around the garden loved it then love it now!
english mints or scotch mints will always remind me of my grandpa M too...
----------------------
The smell of fresh tar and oil
 
reminds me of the boat docks and going to meet my dad or see him on his boat coming in from a commercial fishing run I love the smell of those two things and it always brings me back to the coast love it... 
I grew up running down these docks, and spent the summer I was 19 working with my dad on his charter boat...its a different life...
beauty, serenity tar and oil the mountains and the smells of it all bring me back here...
-------------------------------- 
Go back. Go back in time. Everyone's life is a chain of memories. In each chain there are shining links, happenings where this element of wonder...was very strong. Reach out and relive some of those memories? If you work at it, remembering the wonder can revive your ability to live life as it should be lived.
-- Arthur Gordon
 
Memory is a child walking along a seashore. You never can tell what small pebble it will pick up and store away among its treasured things.
-- Pierce Harris

 What brings you back??
Make some memories worth remembering.

We do not remember days; we remember moments.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Send D a Happy Birthday from Us.
Seems like forever since we chatted. I hope your doing better that last week. I love this post about smells. Christians mom lost her sense of smell last year and it has been a real focal point around here and I am noticing more about what I smell (good and bad). Trying to help her cause it would suck not to be able to smell because she can't taste either. only sweet, sour, salty etc.
Hope we can chat soon

Unknown said...

Send D a Happy Birthday from Us.
Seems like forever since we chatted. I hope your doing better that last week. I love this post about smells. Christians mom lost her sense of smell last year and it has been a real focal point around here and I am noticing more about what I smell (good and bad). Trying to help her cause it would suck not to be able to smell because she can't taste either. only sweet, sour, salty etc.
Hope we can chat soon

Lynn said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO D!!!! It's Corey's 17th Birthday today too. Funny that you would talk about a sense of smell taking you back to a time....I was cleaning the kitchen this morning and the cleaner smell suddenly took me back to the hospital I was in when I had him. It suddenly hit me! SEVEN -TEEN years ago! Wow! Where does the time go.

I love learning more about your life working on the boats. IT truly must of been another place and time.

HAve fun water skiing today! Thankfully it's much warmer than in past years. Corey was so excited to have a WARM birthday. His wish is for sushi tonight. So sushi it is.

Hugs!

Karlene said...

happy birthday to your man!!! i hope i still like my guy 14 years from now.....p.s i can't believe that you've been married that long, you seem way to young...anyways about your comment on my blog....my mom feels the same way and it's ridiculous!! i told her, "mom it's not like i'm just gonna up and say thanks for raising me but i got a new family now" haha...but i understand. just know that your kids will not feel that way at all, and that you will always be thier parents :)

Amy said...

I hope your D gets a chance to read this great tribute you've written.

Alison said...

Me and your hubby have the same B-day! Hope he had a happy day and that you all had fun celebrating!

Kim said...

happy birthday to your hubby!! And I love your post about smells. I've never really thought a lot about how they can bring a memory, but thinking about it there are definitely things that i have smelled that have reminded me of my childhood. a while ago i was in the basement of this old house and the smell reminded me of a families house that grew up down the street from me. it was crazy. so fun to think about. :)