Monday, August 18, 2008

{ Me Thinks }

I have a cold today. I've been sneezing my guts out one minute I'm cold the next I'm sweating buckets cause its so hot, so so hot, my house is a sauna and my throat is killing me, and my kids are feeling it too! Fun day! ha ha you know the kind of day where you would crawl back into bed if the kids didn't need you, the kind of day where nobody is listening to you, the kind of day where it feels like all anybody is doing is fighting with each other.
The kind of day every mother has sometimes ! Thats today.
BUT
That's not what I came on here to write about.
I've been thinking so much lately about some friends and families we know of who are facing terminal illness right now and facing the moments where the time left in this earthly journey is limited.
D and I talked a lot about it the last couple of nights and wondered about the trials people have to go through and the strength and courage they give to others even in their darkest family times of facing being separated in this life.
Where the memories they are making now are to last forever.
It makes me so thankful for the blessings we have, for the trials we have, and makes me so aware of the little things that don't matter so much and how we need to make the most of every second we have in this life and make them count.
A lot of mornings lately on my jog I see some members of a highly loved and respected family in our community heading to the hospital early in the morning. It brings tears to my eyes thinking of it, and the families we know of who have little children and face leaving them behind to grow up without their father/mother.
-----------------
I came across this quote from Elder Orson F. Whitney,
"No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. It ministers to our education, to the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude and humility. All that we suffer and all the we endure, especially when we endure patiently, builds up our character, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable, more worthy to be called the children of God...and it is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here to acquire and which will make us more like our Father and Mother in heaven."
------------------------
Isn't that great it makes me cry because when you think about it the very most important things we have here on this earth is our family, the gospel and knowledge we acquire because of the things we go through and have to learn that bring us closer together as families and to what we want to be now and forever.
Think about the things we all have gone through or are going through when we learn and grow from it, learn to embrace it and share with others what we've learned and are continuing to learn we do become more patient, more understanding of others, more charitable and more worthy. Its all in what we do with the trials we have, we all have them.
We are all blessed in ways we can't even count.
Sometimes the pain takes over and the sadness comes and that's what we are here for to help, listen and to show we care, to pray and serve others. To learn.
---------------
MAKE SOMEONE'S DAY
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest accomplishment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

8 comments:

Holly said...

Love your quotes as usual! Hope you get feeling better!!! :)

Lynn said...

Oooo!!! THat quote is a VERY good one!
I hope you are feeling MUCH better soon. This heat is NO fun even when healthy....can't imagine what it would be like sick as well. My D is at home from work too, sick. It must be going around.
Drink lot's of fluids. *hugs*

lauralquinton said...

Well done. What a beautiful post. Elder Whitney's quote is perfect. I don't know where you found it, but it's perfect. I need to put it on my fridge or at least in my journal. I'm sad you have a cold. There's nothing worse than a summer cold. So tell me if you need anything. Even if it's to take the kids to the park (tomorrow could be perfect for that since it's supposed to cool down) Anyway try to feel better and well done on the post even though you feel crappy. ttyl, L
ps. we having a girls night soon? Maybe before school starts?

Jennifer said...

I found your blog through Holly's blog. Your message today was awesome. I am so inspired and speechless. Thank you so much for your inspiration and your eloquent way of putting things.

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill said...

Thanks for sharing. Those are great thoughts for all of us!! I know we each have our trials and they suck, but I don't think I would want anyone else's...death is so hard to face when it seems their time should not be now or they are leaving family behind...it makes me cry too!!

LindsayB said...

umm...wow.

hope you feel better soon.

Scrappy Girl said...

Hope you feel better soon.

What a beautiful post...you always make me reflect on my life and put things into a new perspective.