Monday, April 12, 2010

{ Me Thinks....}

....That We are..but some days this week it was a nice reminder for all of us!!
Then the hurricane winds came even stronger...... 

 
 So we were stuck inside with this cute little helper.... {climber.....}
 

his equally three cute fort builders/jumpers and snugglers in PJ's... and ballet clothes....

A lego building train constructing fun time the same day and then one afternoon K and i went to "How to train your dragon" {cute show!} had a fun day together and we got out of the house...
 
 
Then Sunday morn we tried for some Easter pictures again a little better but so hard to get four kids to look at the same time and smile!! But will take it!!
-------------------------------------------

ME THINKS
"Are YOU There"?
One of my favorite talks at conference last weekend was by Elder Robert D. Hales I loved it because every word he said is exactly what we need so much in our homes NOW. To help our children, our youth  KNOW.
 Know we love them. Know we care. So they know what to do out in the world, so they  have a safe place they can always come too and so they know what we know.

He says....
"Do our children know what we know?
I have a grandson who once asked me to go with him to a popular but inappropriate movie. I told him I wasn’t old enough to see that film. He was puzzled until his grandmother explained to him that the rating system by age didn’t apply to Grandpa. He came back to me and said, “I get it now, Grandpa. You’re never going to be old enough to see that movie, are you?” And he was right!
Besides showing youth the way by example, we lead them by understanding their hearts and walking alongside them on the gospel path. To truly understand their hearts, we must do more than just be in the same room or attend the same family and Church activities.  
We must plan and take advantage of teaching moments that make a deep and lasting impression upon their minds and hearts.
For example, Church leaders regularly plan priesthood activities and Scouting pow wows and encampments—but do those activities always accomplish their most important purpose? I have learned that what makes a priesthood or Scout activity most meaningful to a boy is not just getting a merit badge but having the opportunity to sit and talk with a leader who is interested in him and his life.
Similarly, mothers and fathers, as you drive or walk children to school or their various activities, do you use the time to talk with them about their hopes and dreams and fears and joys? Do you take the time to have them take the earplugs from their MP3 players and all the other devices so that they can hear you and feel of your love? 
The more I live, the more I recognize that the teaching moments in my youth, especially those provided by my parents, have shaped my life and made me who I am.
It is impossible to overestimate the influence of parents who understand the hearts of their children. 
Research shows that during the most important transitions of life—including those periods when youth are most likely to drift away from the Church—the greatest influence does not come from an interview with the bishop or some other leader but from the regular, warm, friendly, caring interaction with parents.
With that in mind, when we sit down at the dinner table, is our whole family there? I remember as a young man asking permission to play baseball through dinnertime. “Just put my meal in the oven,” I said to my mother. She responded, “Robert, I really want you to take a break, come home, be with the family for dinner, and then you can go out and play baseball until dark.” She taught all of us that where family meals are concerned, it’s not the food but the family interaction that nourishes the soul. My mother taught that the greatest love we give is within our homes.
For our interactions with youth to truly touch their hearts, we have to pay attention to them just as we would pay attention to a trusted adult colleague or close friend.  
Most important is asking them questions, letting them talk, and then being willing to listen—yes, listen and listen some more...— 
Several years ago I was reading the newspaper when one of my young grandsons snuggled up to me. As I read, I was delighted to hear his sweet voice chattering on in the background. Imagine my surprise when, a few moments later, he pushed himself between me and the paper. Taking my face in his hands and pressing his nose up to mine, he asked, “Grandpa! Are you in there?”
Mother, Father, are you in there? 
Grandpa, Grandma, are you there? Being there means understanding the hearts of our youth {and children} and connecting with them. And connecting with them means not just conversing with them but doing things with them too." 
-Elder Robert D.Hales The whole talk can be found here
LOVED IT.
-------------------------- 
Elder L Tom Perry said in his talk too that I loved....

..."Teaching in the home is becoming increasingly important in today’s world, where the influence of the adversary is so widespread and he is attacking, attempting to erode and destroy the very foundation of our society, even the family. Parents must resolve that teaching in the home is a most sacred and important responsibility. While other institutions, such as church and school, can assist parents to “train up a child in the way he [or she] should go” (Proverbs 22:6), ultimately this responsibility rests with parents. According to the great plan of happiness, it is parents who are entrusted with the care and development of our Heavenly Father’s children....".
 The [greatest] work you will ever do will be within the walls of your own home” 
-President Lee
Have a great week.....
-----------------------
***{Happy Birthday to my sweet spunky niece Kinlee J! 4 years old today!!}***

10 comments:

Lynn said...

Hey Christal! Sounds like you guys had a great SPring Break despite the wind! ; D

Great Easter pics of the kids. It' amazes me how you manage to find the cutest boy's ties that always match L's outfits. So cute!

Loved conference weekend too! It's going to be hard narrowing down what my favorite talks were. I love it more and more every year!

Alison said...

Loved Elder Hales talk too! Thanks so much for the recap. And our kids would get along SO well! That's what we've had these weekend too - FORTS! They tried to sleep in it last night but didn't last past 9:30pm. Silly kids! Too bad we live so far apart, it would be so fun to get together! Glad you had a great Spring Break! Have a happy week!

Jackie S. said...

Your family is so cute!!! Conference was amazing, so inspirational(I say that every year, but this year seemed to be REALLY good).

Judy said...

I loved these talks. I loved conference. I miss the fort building days!!!!! Love your cute little family.

Katelyn said...

Those talks really stood out to me too. I can't wait for the Ensign to come out. Those Easter pictures are so cute. You are so good at taking pictures of your kids. They will thank you later :)

Mostly Jessica said...

I just can't believe you can get your boys to wear ties at all. Zachary completely refuses to wear ties right now. And I can't believe K2 is climbing in the dishwasher. You've got a busy-body there!

Kristyn said...

I just listened to that talk this morning while folding laundry. Every single talk was amazing wasn't it?
cute pics.
This is going to come out the wrong way, but truly it's a compliment. Your pictures look so good lately. have you change something on your camera. (honestly they looked good before I promise, promise promise)
are you laughing, please say you are??!!
They are just super clear and the color is great. (maybe it's not a compliment coming from someone who honestly doesn't know a lot about all that kind of stuff, it's just an observation). Also maybe they have always looked perfect, the new computer screen helps so much. I learned the color of my pictures was way off. still is. i need help.

do you still love me??

hopefully.

i love you. =)

Mandy said...

Conference was so good. I am excited to read over and study the talks when they come in the Ensign. Thanks for the uplift!

Just Rhonda said...

Did you know out of the 25 talks of the 4 general sessions 13 were about families?? Doesn't that just scream to take care of them!!! So many good ones this time!

Christine Dallimore said...

Ohhhh- I LOVE your children's Easter outfits!!! They are just adorable all sitting together...I agree on the trying to get them to look all at once...SO HARD (Impossible)! I love your General Conference recaps....LOVED GC this year! Then again, I always do!!!

As to your Christal-ology- SO FUN getting to know you better...LOVE THAT! I could help you with #6 ya know!! :o)