Monday, April 26, 2010

{Me Thinks....}

Another week.... another weekend.... almost may.... almost the end of another school year.... WOW

almost summer

Time goes by so fast it really does...... sometimes these days that seem like they will never pass are so long and never ending but they will past in a flash and we'll be looking back wishing for your little three year old to punch out the screen and escape out the basement ahhhhh.

Some days I just don't know what to do with my cute, little M! Good thing he is cute!

He is an escape artist who just wants out so bad.... I just need to move to the country I already moved here so we were off the highway where he frequently visited in his younger days ahhh! He has a guardian angel I know that much. {probably a few that take shifts...}

Anyway rough day. But a good weekend we got to see my sister Liv and her husband and we four of my five brothers and sisters plus kids all got together for a big dinner and visiting yesterday so that was nice to see everyone again it had been awhile. D got alot of work done in the garage shelves, dry walling etc, got lots of cleaning done and lots of catch up stuff that needed done in the house too. Went to a GNO friday night with so many girls it was crazy with so many different conversations going on, but fun to visit and get to know some new girls and then there was so much food! We all brought a recipe we hadn't made before and wanted to try whether it was a keeper or not. Fun times.

The Kids played hard and got their chores done. K had a master piano class he is doing so good and can play some primary songs its awesome and he has a great teacher so it makes it even better! Not saying some days its like pulling teeth to get him to practice but when he learns a new song and memorizes it he is so proud of himself! He started soccer this week too and did a great job he gets better every year. 

sigh..they really do grow up so fast....

I'm so proud of each of my kids its so fun to see them learn new things and feel like they have accomplished a lot..... L has a ballet recital coming up in a month and she can't wait! M can't wait to go to school but he loves to look at books and pretend to read we read lots of books and  he loves to learn new things so that is a good sign. 

K2 has a cold but still such a happy cute boy! He is getting so big too fast....check out these cute little teeth...beautiful little smile and then the shy look...can't get enough of him....

 
ME THINKS 

So I got this following article emailed to me the other day and I love it because I see a little piece of me just like you all will probably see when you read it cause life is just like that.... 

What you don't see 

 By Tiffany Gee Lewis {mormontimees.com}

What you don't see, when we all march into church on Sunday morning, is the chaos of the morning that happened just 10 minutes earlier.
What you don't see, when you look at my four little boys in their suits, is that the 7-year-old is wearing Dad's socks because we couldn't find his. And they go all the way up to his knees.
What you don't see, when I pull out the lovely quiet book I made a few years back, is that below it, in my church bag, are five baggies of smashed raisins because I haven't cleaned out the bag for months.
When you enter my house, with its shining entryway, you don't see the three loads of laundry dumped on my bed. Or the dirty pots I stashed in the oven. And you will never see the interior of my minivan, not until I find the time to vacuum it out.
When you admire the hand-sewn pajamas I made for all the kids, we don't talk about the three nights I got no sleep to make those.
If you look on my blog, you will see pictures of homemade chicken noodle soup with homemade noodles. You won't see my confession to popping in a frozen pizza THREE times last week for dinner.
Or the night we ate Cheerios for dinner, dry, because we were out of milk. There is a zoom on my camera for a reason. There is a delete button for a reason.
I don't think we're all playing a part. We naturally want to put our best selves forward, so that is what other people see. They don't see what's going on behind the scenes. I like to think that good parenting is like a duck on the water. What you see is the gentle, almost effortless gliding, not the furious paddling that happens underneath.
I keep a mental list of about ten people I want to stalk by camera, from morning to night, to see how they do it all. Are they up at 4 a.m.? Can they survive on three hours of sleep? Do they have a housekeeper? Because I drop balls just as fast as I can grab them. My intentions are of pure gold, but they come out as tinkling brass, at best.
I started a blog last fall. I dragged my feet into it for many reasons. One of the main reasons I hesitated was I didn't want to be another contributor to the cyberspace guiltosphere out there. Especially where mothers are concerned, do we need one more reason to feel guilty?
Because from the looks of things, other families are happier, their houses are cleaner, their marriages are better, their clothes are more stylish and their craftiness is even more crafty. Their lives are perfectly lovely, while my kids are running around screaming in their diapers.
My worst fears were confirmed last week when I got an e-mail from a friend who asked, "How do you do it all? Your column, your blog, all the things you do with your children? You're amazing!"
I looked around at my house, at the six bins of winter clothes waiting to be transported to the garage, at the sewing projects stacked against the wall, at the state of the toothpaste crusted to the sink ... I let things go, a lot of things.
A spanking-clean house is not a high priority for me. I'm a big believer in mud and its importance in a child's life. The time I take to write is time away from scrubbing that bathroom sink. I would rather read with my kids than shop at the mall, so I am certainly not up-to-date on the latest styles. I've been listening to the same music for 20 years because I can't seem to keep up with the latest music scene. And I require a lot of sleep.
We all have priorities. For some, it is keeping a spotless house, and they are good at it. For others, it is writing, or exercising, or serving others. And yes, there are some who seem to do it all, the Benjamin Franklin's of the world. I tell myself I don't have to be them. And also, Benjamin Franklin was not much of a family man. Even he let things go.
What we don't see, when we look at each other on Sunday, or on blogs, or in our shiny kitchens, is that we all have different talents and unique situations. I tell my kids all the time: 
Life is not a race. The only person you are competing against is yourself.

What we forget to see, when admiring others, 
is our own personal finish line. 
 Pretty much speaks for itself ....... thoughts??
mine.... of course who would want to read a blog all about the things we aren't good at or our shortcomings we all enjoy learning from each other least i do and seeing all the fun projects and skills that people have. i love it the good and bad..... if your the kind who likes to air your dirty laundry all the power to you..... but for the majority of us we keep it in the positive otherwise I don't think people would want to read it there are enough depressing things in the world! just my thoughts whatever you blog about is what makes us all unique and real some of my favorite blogs just tell it like it is cause that's real life right....!
 -----------------------------------------------------

Some of my realizations this week on my life:
  • Sometimes the little things don't matter at all.... give a hug instead it will leave a much better lasting  impression on them in the long run....
  • maybe M just needs more to do to keep him busy so he doesn't escape any ideas??
  • I wish I had more time to just sit and rock and read to each kid everyday
  • life is to fast paced sometimes we need to slow down running here and there all the time
  • I need to get like three baby gifts out and the days just keep going by
  • I need to clean out my closest and junk drawers they just seem to collect everything..
  • I get frustrated with people who volunteer thinking what do I get out of it instead of just serving cause its the right thing to do!? Not enough "in it for nothing in return" volunteers...sad..
  • I often wonder if we did the right thing putting L in kindergarten at her age or if we should have waited another year but now she would hate to not be with the kids she has been with what to do? She is doing great but....
  • I feel sick sometimes listening to what our children/Youth are going through and some of the things they are doing...how to get through to them...
  • I'm excited to run a little marathon with K in June he is training for it and joined the marathon club at school and is totally excited about it and wears a pedometer each day to track how many steps he takes each day..... sometimes he goes running with me or takes his scooter so he can get good exercise ..
  • I love that my kids can play hours in the dirt...that they love the old movies like old yeller and where the red fern grows etc.......
BUT I also realized after listening to a talk in the hall {I was with K2} from another ward a couple of Sundays ago I had a light bulb moment when i heard her say:
 ..."It is a different world from when we were youth and in order to really help them navigate the choppy waters a deep understanding of their world through their eyes is vital." 

 I had never really thought about it that way I kind of thought if I didn't have video games and such, and showed them lots of the "good old days" movies and did lots of the same things we did growing up.... it would be enough...but it isn't we have to see the world from their viewpoint too...
So I'm trying harder to be better...
Anyway just a few of my thoughts for this week I'm sure I could think of many more but good enough...
 
 Have A great week. 
{and the recipes u wanted are coming.}

13 comments:

Katelyn said...

I've been babysitting some girls quite a bit lately ages 2 and 5 and it's been quite eye-opening. I've had crayon on my white banister, picture frame (I thought was out of reach) broken on the floor, cardboard eaten, mysterious nibbles out of food in my pantry-among other things. Apparently I have a lot to learn and I need more than 2 eyes and 2 ears. I think kids make us grow and learn and humble ourselves. (okay this is a novel-sorry)
And about that email, the blog world can make people feel inadequate, but I appreciate people posting their successes. I learn so much from other people. I wouldn't learn new things and ideas if people just wrote about their weaknesses and shortcomings. I get so many ideas of how to do things homemade or for cheaper that I could never come up with on my own. I love your blog. You have lots of good thoughts and ideas so keep them coming! Love ya!

Skye said...

FANTASTIC post! Thanks a million!

Just Rhonda said...

I LOVED that blog post part. I guess a lot of it I don't understand. Since I never feel bad when I read someone's blog. Of COURSE they are putting their best food forward. It it was all sad and I hate this, I suck at this, WHO would want to read that? Not me. It'd be depressing!!!!! I don't ever feel guilt about it. I am just impressed or inspired. (maybe that makes me strange :) )
I loved the GNO! It made me super excited to move to Raymond already!!!

Carrie said...

Such a good post, Christal! As a mom I look up to, it's nice to know that you're more like me than I thought. It's so true that we never really know what's going on behind the scenes in people's lives. But I definitely agree with you, that it makes us feel better to put our best selves forward and just keep trying each day. I love ya! (And don't worry about your little M - If my kids take after me OR my husband in any ways, I'm sure I will have 3 just like M and I can't wait! haha)

Amy said...

I enjoy a blog that tells a little of both sides; their successes, how cute their kids are, great recipes, spiritual thoughts, but also their fears and worries, the days when the kids drive them crazy, that we can't do it ALL. It's nice to read other blogs and know we're normal, we're all in this together. I think your blog has a great balance.

Lynn said...

I agree with all the other commenters. LOVE this post!

This one stood out to me "I like to think that good parenting is like a duck on the water. What you see is the gentle, almost effortless gliding, not the furious paddling that happens underneath."

So true. I never look or read another blog thinking that their life was perfect or I wished mine was like theirs. I think it's a given with all bloggers that life is NOT perfect. But you are right.....you wants to see all the horrible and miserable stuff and nothing else.

We can learn from both the BAD and the GOOD. But it's better to put our best selves forward and count our blessings more than share the horrible days. Doing that might not only help someone else but help ourselves in the process! IT brightens a day.

Anyway....great post!

I wish you the best with figuring out things with M and L and what they need right now. IT's not always easy to come to that decision.

And the best to you and K on your run! THat is awesome!

Lynn said...

I meant "WHO want to see" Not "You want to see" Opps. Sorry.

Lynn said...

P.S.. Me again. Sorry. But I was thinking about a comment from President Kimball back in 1980.

I went and found his talk, so I could quote him word for word. Thought it went along with what I was just saying about always dwelling on the bad stuff when it come to journaling/blogging.

" There is a temptation to paint one’s virtues in rich color and whitewash the vices, but there is also the opposite pitfall of accentuating the negative. Personally I have little respect for anyone who delves into the ugly phases of the life he is portraying, whether it be his own or another’s. The truth should be told, but we should not emphasize the negative. Even a long life full of inspiring experiences can be brought to the dust by one ugly story. Why dwell on that one ugly truth about someone whose life has been largely circumspect?"

The whole talk can be found here:
http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=f5f3ba9ff599b010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&vgnextoid=024644f8f206c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

Christine Dallimore said...

Oh I LOVE that "What you don't see" story. LOVE IT!!! Can I get a copy of that sometime? I am struggling to balance everything lately- UGH!!!

I just always love reading your blog. I love your perspective and outlook on life!!! You are just so super fabulous! :O)

Christal said...

Here is the link

http://www.mormontimes.com/mormon_voices/tiffany_gee_lewis/?id=14457


Lots of good stuff on the whole site!

Alison said...

Aw, Christal, I just love you! What a great post! I laughed when I read the 'what you don't see'! It's so totally true!!!! I loved it. We're all good at things and we all have things others don't see, but we're all doing our best, and we just need to love each other! You are wonderful. Thanks for this post!

Betsy said...

Wow...I LOVED that post from the other blog! Isn't that sooo true?? But, I'm with you. Part of what I love about blogging is that if you are "keeping it real", I believe it can really encourage other people. If I read someone's blog who is honest about the ups and downs of life, it makes me realize I'm not alone and I feel much closer to that person than someone who seems completely perfect! That's what I love about your blog! You are the "real deal" and you are such an encouragement to me! xoxo

Kristyn said...

great post!! love ya. i like it when people keep it real (not depressing though), then you feel like you are not alone.