Monday, January 31, 2011

{me thinks..}

One cold and snowy weekend, one husband away on scout camp, one tired over thinking over processing wife....... what did I do..... I crafted, I baked and I practiced some shots for a photography class I'm taking.  
Part of my goals this year is to actually learn what my camera is capable of and learn some photo shop, 
so I saw a class being offered in town and went to start learning a few things about my camera. I got some cute pics of K2 who likes to think he's a big boy and can sit on a stool like the big kids!

so fun and I love the way they turned out total cost of one ball $3 dollars! 1 for the ball and 2 for the crepe paper copy of this valentine print found an on sale frame that will do for now...and voila
 and than I also made the felt heart wreath at the top super easy and relaxing and I love the way it turned out too! tutorial found here
 Than me and the kids made these on Saturday most of the  kids really liked them I thought they were good and They turned out like the picture....
also got to see two of my cute sisters and 
have a nice few hours laughing and talking.
Its always so awesome to hold my sweet
little niece India and just holding that little 11 pound bundle reminds me that prayers are answered and miracles do happen.  
Not always. But when they are supposed to. Its beautiful.
-------------------------------
Finished off the weekend with some popcorn and rummy cube with the kids {anybody else find it more frustrating than fun to play a family game and not have it be chaos? Oh the joys right...it was fun ..
---------------------------------
and a church funny from little MISS L
L: mom I'm bored {whispered} 
Me: L please be quiet and try listening to the speaker
L : {whispered }can I have some BBQ CHICKEN......
me: uncontrollable {quiet} inappropriate shoulder shaking laughing
like seriously the things she comes up with sometimes 
BBQ CHICKEN in sacrament really???
funny funny girl...
----------------------------------------------
Me Thinks
{Is there anybody out there like me?}
There is probably something you don't know about me 
{imagine that after all this time eh...}
I love HISTORY I love to read it in fiction and non fiction
 I'm reading this series right now

I love to watch movies about it...especially European history, WW2, the holocaust, slavery, pioneers and all such unrelated and related things..but I also love family history and stories that got us to today.
I find it fascinating and  disturbing at the same time some of the atrocities that are associated with it.{whatever it may be}I cry watching it and reading it, and wonder how things like this happen, how hatred  so strong turns into something so vile.,..
D thinks I'm weird to dwell on it I don't dwell on it.... I just like learning their stories and learning what history gets repeated if we don't watch what has happened and remember.
I like to think what would I have been like if I lived then?? 
I would have been killed for my big mouth but I also would have been one who hid Jews and helped those that were despised just for being who they were...
I watched The Last days {1998}

a doco/history of five survivors of the holocaust while I was on the elliptical this morning 
{I told you I was weird } 
But for real being in Germany and FEELING the history behind the stories that weren't stories anymore being there was completely different and a highlight of my life to feel that history and see the places I and you have learned about our whole lives was something totally indescribable unless you've been there and felt it too.
This quote from the movie  I watched this morning really stuck with me:

Dr. Randolph Braham: "The Holocaust has to be taught as a chapter in the long history of man's inhumanity to man. One cannot ignore the discrimination inflicted on many people because of race, color or creed. One cannot ignore slavery. One cannot ignore the burning of witches. One cannot ignore the killing Christians during the Roman period. The Holocaust perhaps is the culmination of the kind of horror that can occur when man loses his integrity, his belief in the sanctity of human life."
-----
I believe in a small way that when we become lax as a society and people and don't stand for what we believe in we let a little more integrity slip away..when we don't stand up for what we believe in, when we don't speak up and when we don't teach our children.... life and history tends to repeat itself...if we don't learn from where we've been....
{{anybody else think like me??}}

Have a warm week!

14 comments:

Lynn said...

Amen to that. I totally agree. If we just ignore (or don't take the time to learn from the past).......what was the purpose of it all. History seems to continually repeat itself in someways.........but there is MUCH that we (as a society) have learned from those horrific times, haven't we. I love that my kids will come home from their social studies classes and we can get into VERY deep discussions about all this history. I love that they are learning that even if they have no control over a lot of things......that they really do when it comes to themselves. They can open their mouths at school when they see something not right being done towards someone else. They can stand up for their own beliefs when theirs is being mocked at every corner. They can show respect for others beliefs and defend wherever possible.

I ALWAYS love your me thinks.

P.S. Love those flower balls you made! Cassie had those at her wedding reception. Around here they are called "kissing balls". You know....kind of like mistletoe? Just hang them up and watch all those who end up kissing under them. ; D

whitney said...

mmmmm BBQ chicken. I like the way she thinks.
I am dying at how cute those valentines decorations are! And laughing at the same time because you always tell me you aren't crafty.
I love history about WWII and Holocaust too. So sad, but I love reading it watching it anyway.
Is that your DVD - if it is can I borrow it?
I have a book you might like, Night. Ever read it? I'll bring it by if you want.

Judy said...

Fun post. I love that you are taking a photo class. sweet! You always make me stop and think!

Jill said...

i really like learning about & watching things about the holocaust, love the wreath, and think the lauren story is so funny. in sac mtg i used to always ask my mom what was for dinner.

Jessica said...

That first picture of K2 is adorable. It made me smile.
I also giggled at the BBQ chicken. One day in Sacrament, Deegan was sitting on my lap, and I asked him if I bit his ear what it would taste like. He said, BBQ CHICKEN!!! Soooo funny huh?!
I also love me some history. I love going to places, and thinking - wow this actually happened HERE. I try to imagine the people. Makes you really feel their spirits. LOVE it.

Jackie S. said...

Ok...that picture of K2 cracks me up...you can hardly see him AND he is peeking up to see you...haha.
One of the most memorable times in my life was living with the Jewish family and learning history from a real Holocaust survivor. I am in total agreement and history, I find if fascinating.

Alison said...

I love history too and Dave thinks I'm weird because when we visit old places I like to just stop and soak it in and imagine what it was like when it was all brand new and who would have lived there and what they would have been doing. So fascinating. And Bodie Theone is a fabulous author, I've read a few of her books and loved them. I printed out that same Subway art and have it framed on our piano, love it! I have tissue paper waiting to be made into those kissing balls, and my felt heart wreath is half done sitting down in the kitchen waiting until I have a chance to finish it! Kudos to you on all your fun projects that you have FINISHED, unlike me! :) They all look so cute in your house. And BBQ chicken, that little Miss L is too funny!

The Lowry's said...

Funny story about L during sacrament meeting. Hers was more random than Jaycie's, but this sunday out of the blue she asks, "Mom, when are we going to West Ed? "
Love all your crafts. Both of those are on my project list to make....oh I see so many cute and fun things to make, that my list keeps on getting longer and longer. Guess I just need to make time for some crafts and actually make some. Yours turned out really cute. Time, I need more of it.

Kayli said...

L was HILARIOUS!!! Best church comment ever! I wish my kids would say funny things when they're bored in church. Instead they just whine or go crazy.

Amanda said...

SO cute! Love all your crafts...where did you get the print for the frame?

Christal said...

Hey all the print is from here

http://eighteen25.blogspot.com/2011/01/valentine-subway-art.html

love this site !

Jill said...

stinkin cute crafts!! i love them. how do you find the time to get everything done? you are amazing!!!

Melissa said...

I'm the same way with the Holocaust, etc. Do you have any fave books about it that you can recommend? I just finished a quick children's one about it and am thirsting for more right now. It's been a while since I've read a really really good book...

Holly said...

I just put The Last Days up on my netflix que! Thanks for the suggestion! I agree, we all need to remember to be kinder, no so judgemental, & what better way then to learn about history?

LOVE ALL THE crafts, I have done all of them except those cute balls! TOTALLY making them this week! THanks Christal!