Wednesday, March 26, 2008

{ Wednesday Words }

Love this quote from President Ezra Taft Benson:

" One great thing the Lord requires of us is to provide a home where a happy, positive influence for good exists. In future years the costliness of home furnishings or the number of bathrooms will not matter much, but what will matter significantly is whether our children felt love and acceptance in the home. It will greatly matter whether there was happiness and laughter, or bickering and contention".

That's what really matters. Yes my house is 1100 square feet but its a thousand square feet of living, laughing, loving and the occasional (bickering and contention) but we are happy and healthy. {Not to say we aren't growing out of it and would love to have something bigger} But we manage for now.
Just a thought.




2 comments:

Lynn said...

Amen to that Christal! There certainly is that competition out there for sure. I just happened to mention today on my blog that I am SO grateful that my kids friends come from homes, where that competition does not exist. I love the fact that my kids can just enjoy being themselves and not worry about having the best and the latest of things. Cause even IF we were able to afford to compete someday, we have decided that THAT would do them no justice at all. In essence, the point is not how much money or assets someone has (because someone with money is not a bad thing)it's being competitive and envious and coveting that is the bad thing. I told my kids that they could go out there in the real world and MAKE A ton of money and be successful (whatever that means to the world) all they wanted.....they would just have to learn to share their money. Hopefully with me. LOL! Seriously though....to give it to those in need. To do whatever good they could with it and then become successful within the gospel and within their family relationships. Then no matter what money they have....the rest is what really matters.

GREAT post Christal! I love the way you think.

Anonymous said...

You'll never have to feel that competitive vibe from these neighbors we LOVE our 100 year old house and see no need for more. It's all so personal really--and every couple knows if they are living within their means. Some care some don't. Be Yourselves, do what's right for you and don't entertain a single thought of competition or keeping up with whoever or whatever to fit in. That mentality gets us nowhere in the long run. Loved the quote you shared from ETB. That's so true and only that matters. A house is a house but means absolutely NOTHING if there is no feeling of HOME (love and laughter) in it! For me I am happiest in life not when we have the worldly pleasures and STUFF but when we are laughing, having FUN and where the SPIRIT of the Lord is present as close to ALWAYS as is possible....and you have that in your home now. Thats what is important! And of course you know all that--so do I--so we are lucky. I know I wrote a novel I always do.....see ya later. Love you tons. DJ