I hope everybody had a fabulous Mothers Day! Sunday was good I got breakfast in bed from my boys. The cutest card from Kolt, and new sheets, duvet, duvet cover, and bed skirt from D so you know what that means whole new bedroom makeover cause the old don't match the new!! So I'm excited to redecorate {somehow I don't think D thought of that ha ha} But I'm excited for new, fresh, bright and clean. Our bedrooms are my least favorite part of the house. I love my kitchen and living room but have never had bedrooms I love so, if I start somewhere someday I might get something nice done.
Anyway on Sunday we went to my parents house with some of my sisters and brother Soren that was a nice surprise we haven't seen him forever so it was fun to hang out with him! We had a nice BBQ and DQ ice cream cake it was just nice to talk and see each other. After that we went to D's parents house and had dessert {again ahhhh} It was a nice day just being with family and enjoying the time all together. Pics to come.
Kolten Funny: "Mom I have to hurry and find a spot to hide {darting here and there} Soren's going to count to 7000 so I have to hurry !!! {Totally had a good laugh on that one so funny think he had a bit of time to find a spot.}
Lauren Funny: Mom: "Lauren you need to clean you room before we go."
Laur: Oh for HEAVENS SAKES mom. {ha ha where did that come from}
The only bad thing about yesterday was when the boys {cousins} had poor little Lauren smothered under couch cushions and were jumping on her. We could hear the screaming upstairs so went running downstairs to find all the boys on top of the cushions with her underneath. I started crying, she was crying. They could have really hurt her and the sad thing is this is the second time they've done it. So D took those boys and sat them on the couch and had a few words to say lets just say the adults all were not very happy so that was a sad few minutes. Lauren is the only girl around that age and they sometimes aren't nice to her. Boys in packs sometimes don't think of nice rational things to do. Anyway it was a good day except for that episode. That's my baby girl don't mess with her! Things like that make me livid I can't stand it when kids aren't nice to each other. /Okay onto the topic of today's ME THINKS........
-----------------------------------------------------
This week I've been thinking alot about having a home where there is peace, love and harmony and what makes a home that way. I read an article a girl wrote about a session at BYU womens conference this year she stated it perfectly. Got me thinking about the things that are important in raising happy, well balanced, respectful children. The things that we need to do better, we do them already, but doing them better and making them stronger more pronounced and more important in family life and making more of a personal effort to be the kind of family we want to be now and forever.
The speaker spoke about the 5 fundamentals of family life they are:
1.Family Prayer
2.Family Scripture Study
3.Family Home Evening
4.Family Dinner
5.One on one time
"These are the 5 most important things we can be doing with our families. Each of them create an opportunity for teaching and learning. We need to think of our children in terms of the future.
Are we hoping our kids will grow up to be star athletes or dancers? Probably not. WE are hoping they'll be good, service oriented people, hard workers, dedicated parents, loyal spouses, etc.
So, the things we should be doing with them now are the things that will lead them to become what we want them to become in the future. We need to stay home more and more and work to create teaching and learning situations so they will know how to grow up and be good people.
WE can create learning and teaching situations when we have lots of family time together whether its working in the yard or hose, eating together every night, and having important discussions as we do these things. We also need to teach by example...be the kind of people we want our kids to be."
Recently { I saw an idea in a old ensign} and we started doing an "I noticed moment" after dinner with the kids. It goes kind of like "Kolt, I noticed you helped your brother put on his shoes and that made me so happy to see you do that... and on to each of the kids, because I needed something for them to go to bed with positive, happy, thoughts about themselves instead of the negative that ends up happening sometimes at the end of a long day. They love it and I've seen a difference in them helping each other and being kinder, softer with one another.
I hope this is a good reminder of what we all need to be do in raising our families. In creating healthy habits and a home where love and harmony and peace can be. {because my house can't be the only one where the kids fight and bicker right??}
Hope you all have a great week. make it a good one. keep it simple.
A quote from Sister Hinckley:
Children rise higher when they are treated with respect. Use courteous and respectful language when you talk with your children and others... You don't teach a child not to yell by yelling. We cannot expect to be respected if we treat others in demeaning ways."
{Yes good thing everyday is a new day!}
Monday, May 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
Love that! Keep it simple. I'm SO going to take your advice! Hope you had a happy Mother's day!! :)PS on the post below... how long did you live in Logan? That's where our Braxton was born! :)
I like the "I noticed moment" idea. I'll have to do that. You always have such great posts. Glad you had a great mother's day.
Oh I love your Me Thinks today. I have been thinking about the very same thing lately. Especially your list of 5 things. We are doing 4 of those things with NO problem at all and love them. However, I am really struggling with No. 4. With D working till 6:30 every single night and then he rushes off to Bishop meetings and appointments straight from work and then after school, the kids quickly rush off to work or piano or dance lessons and church activities (those are mandatory too)......it's usually a grab a sandwich or eat a warmed up leftover for supper on the way. I just can't seem to get the whole family together anymore for dinner time. There is no such thing as a dinner time anymore with all of us. It was so much easier when they were little and weren't in young men's or women's or working part time jobs. So enjoy it while it lasts! LOL!
I am glad for Sundays though. Cause we usually can get a family meal in there somewhere for those days.
I feel so bad about the incident with Lauren. Sounded so scary and My heart ached for her. I too know what you mean about being livid when kids don't get a long.. It breaks my heart when many gang up on just one. I hope she is okay today. You are a good mom....when you said you cried with her....I was so touched. There is nothing like seeing your mom feel the same pain as you.
Anyway. I am glad that you had a great Mother's Day for the most part. Would love to see a pic of your new bedroom bedding. : D
I love all your ideas for peace and harmony in your home!! And I totally believe in positive reinforcement and encouragement. Kids respond to that so much! You are such a great mom just for always trying to make things better!
Poor Lauren! I bet she was so scared under all those cushions!! Boys are just too rough sometimes.
Hi girl, sorry, I have been MIA. Been trying to finish up an extensive research project for school. AHH! I'll be done tomorrow, but starting a new class on Thursday, so no rest for the weary. Thanks for sharing your Mother's Day activities. Sounds like a fun time. Was Holli there or stuck 1000 miles away again? I feel bad for her being so far away from her family. I CAN RELATE! The best part of Mother's Day for me I think; I got to take a long nap after church. That's exactly what I needed, too.
What is it with kids? Mine do the same thing with the couch cushions or blankets. I have had to rescue mine several times too. Mostly from their older brother(s) though. I must have had that happen to me when I was young. Being covered up like that terrifies me for some reason, and when you hear one of your kids screaming in panic like they can't breathe. Yah!! I instantly get furious and feel the panic myself. SCARY!
Love that you posted the suggestions for a happier, more peaceful home. Everyone can use reminders like that. I have my work cut out for me. Sometimes we do sooo bad with many of the things on the list. My kids are getting so old, I feel panicked at times; I hope I/we are doing it right.
Have a great week! Love ya, Rose
I found your blog through Heather W.(I can't remember if I have commented you before) but I read your blog quite often. I really needed to hear this one. I think a little lightbulb came on in my head. I always knew those 5 things I should be doing, but I guess it needs to smack me upside the head!! Thanks!!
Post a Comment