How to Love a Child
Be there.
Say yes as often as possible.
Let them bang the pots and pans.
If they’re crabby, put them in water.
If they’re unlovable, love yourself.
Realize how important it is to be a child.
Go to a movie theater in your pajamas together.
Read books out loud with joy.
Invent pleasures together.
Remember how small they are.
Giggle a lot.Surprise them.
Say no when necessary.
Teach feelings.Heal your own inner child.
Learn about parenting.
Hug trees together.
Make loving safe.
Bake a cake and eat it with no hands.
Go find elephants and kiss them.
Plan to build a rocket ship.
Imagine yourself magic.
Make lots of forts with blankets.
Let your angel fly.
Reveal your own dreams.
Search out the possible.
Keep a gleam in your eye.
Mail letters to God.
Encourage silly. Plant licorice in your garden.
Open up. Stop yelling. Express love a lot.
Speak kindly.
Paint their tennis shoes.
Handle with care.
Children are miraculous.
"If a child is a handful he's not often enough an armful.
{so sad a house burnt to the ground yesterday afternoon a couple blocks over makes me so sad. They were all safe but its the memories that you can never get back that are gone forever in pictures and letters. My heart goes out to them first day of summer break and you just never know!! What a tragedy.}
Have a great warm weekend!!


6 comments:
I read this on Alison's blog and I too really liked it. Children truley are miraculous.
This is really good. I cried when their house burnt down. Brighton and I were out for a walk when they came out to the house. It was so sad to see. The whole house was gone in a little over 30 minutes. My heart goes out to them!
Love all the fun things to do with kids. It is always terrible for a family to lose their home. After I learn that no lives are lost I always think of the pictures. Must be the scrapbooker in me.
I love it...that was awesome! Children are so sweet and innocent (for the most part)! I always try to stop and remember those little things because they are so precious!!
Very nice thoughts Chris. The best moments in parenting are the ones written above and I'm loving every minute. I love lists like this and learning about parenting and how to love children and especially my own in a deeper and funner way. Sometimes it takes sitting back and remembering they grow up way entirely too fast so make the moments count in every way. Hope you had a good weekend. Hopefully we'll see you for a bit tomorrow for the BIG CANADA celebrations.
Very good poem!
Post a Comment