Friday, April 4, 2008

{Flashback Friday}

Now for the journal jar question of the day:
" What is your favorite scripture and why?
This one is easy there are so many times in my life in situations and trials that I have turned to the scriptures and gotten so many answers to questions/concerns. Ether 12:6 is my favorite scripture. In the first 5 years of marriage through trying to have a baby and being through five failed fertility treatments and to many rounds of clomid {that I don't wish to remember because it made the weepy, irrational side I didn't know I had come out-- not a fun time} and so many times and situations with each of our adoptions and the feelings that go with those decisions and knowing what is right. Anyway this scripture says: ".....I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen, wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith."
After praying one night I flipped to that scripture randomly it was like an answer to prayer that kind of put me in my place. I read it often when I start feeling like life is one trial after another because there are lessons to be learned from all roads in life. Good or bad. So much to learn. Have a great weekend. Just have to say I loved everybodies comments on the last post!

8 comments:

Kim said...

Love that scripture too! My favorite is actually Ether 12:4. I've had that experience before with praying and then flipping open my scriptures...it was something my parents always said "Go to the scriptures for answers" and so I did one night and I flipped it open and started reading just what I needed to hear. I think Heavenly Father just shows us that he is listening.... :)

Mandy said...

My favorite scripture to quote since high school is 2 Ne 9:34 "wo unto the liar for he shall be thrust down to hell". I told my Science 10 teacher that scripture in front of the whole class and he said that I was right. That he was going to hell. I was so lucky that I didn't get detention or sent to the principals office. My other favorite one that I love is "he who is without sin, let him first cast a stone". Such a great message and great scripture because it shows us that NONE of us are perfect and the even the Lord loves us. Love the sinner NOT the sin. I always think of the saying "when you point your finger at someone else, you always have 3 pointing back at you".

Lynn said...

When I was first married, I got this nice little handmade card from a Visiting Teacher. It had the scripture from Joshua 24:15 on it. I kept that scripture on my fridge with every house, and every move. My kids have even referred to that card in their primary talks, and then as teenagers, they related how worn and faded that card was getting during their sacrament talks. I soon realized that not only was this my favorite scripture, but it was becoming our Family's Motto! I have needed that scripture more and more as time goes by and there are SO many "grey" areas in the world. Things that are bad are made to look good, good things made to look bad, and with so much "political correctness" and "all in the name of equality" out in the world, I draw strength from this scripture. The card is now gone. So old and worn out, but I did not throw it out until I found a more permanent solution.....I found a plaque on line at the Desert store and now we proudly display our family's motto above our new kitchen french doors. "As for me AND my House, we WILL SERVE the Lord." Joshua 24:15. Whenever there is an issue that comes up with my kids, I love to look at that with comfort and KNOW that I am DOING what is right, as a parent when I make certain decisions that are quite frankly really hard to make some days..... and I WILL not sway or bend when someone outside our family tries to make me feel old fashioned (my grandma always says Values or Morals never have an expiry date) or accuse me of being "holier than thou", just because I CHOOSE to follow the Prophet, who ultimately speaks for the Lord.
Oops! Forgot for a moment that I am not on MY blog! LOL! I will write about this sometime on mine I think. Thanks for sharing your scripture Christal! I love the way you get us all to think. Great posts this week.

Betsy said...

I didn't know your kids were adopted or really any of your story about infertility. I know several people going through that right now. What a difficult and trying time!! I have so many favorite scripture verses, it's hard to pick just one!

Jackie S. said...

Christal, I read your blog last night, cried like crazy, had to get off, got back on this morning because I had to tell you how MUCH I needed to read that scripture!!! If you've been following our blog you will know that we have infertility problems as well and have been trying for baby #2 for almost 2.5 years now. I also am doing Clomid and it's not working which is SOOO frustrating as you probably know. There are days when I just cry, want to scream, get angry, feel bad for myself, which eventually leads to doubt. These days have been happening more and more frequently lately, and that scripture just reminded me what's "really" going on. Thankyou for this post, I have already made myself a little sign of that scripture and I've had to read it 3 times this morning :)
Jackie

Jodi Pilling said...

Christal, I had NO idea that you have been through so much. Thanks for being such a great example and sharing your scripture with us.

Kimberly said...

Doctrine & Covenants 90:24 is my favorite. ". . .and all things shall work together for your good."

I have to remember that when things aren't working out how I would like, from just a bad day to our failed placement, that Heavenly Father knows what I need better than I do. Sometimes it has been a bitter pill, but in hindsight, He has never been wrong.

CASSIE said...

Oh Christal, your words have so much meaning to them... More than you'll ever know! ;*) I can't put my finger on a favorite scripture right now, but I do have a picture of the Savior in my bedroom, where Jon and I can see it whenever we want. We frequently recall it in our minds, when we are at our lowest. Painted right next to the Savior's face, is a quote: "I never said it would be easy... I only said it would be worth it." I can't tell you how many times, I have personally drawn strength from that. I still do! I love it :)