Well things are starting to feel a bit more normal today its still cold and snowy though could do with some sun that's for sure. But today I want to go over some of the talk given by Elder Ballard. {of course this pic is from BYUI a few weekends ago but you get the point.}Anyway sitting and reading it its entitled "Daughter of God" really makes me think about my role as a mother and a women and what I want to accomplish in these years given to me to teach my children so they can be strong, respectful, honest and beautiful human beings inside and out. Maybe its a fear I have that I'll fail somehow but I pray that I like everyone else can do the best I know how to with all the help that I can get.
I'm so thankful for the talk by Elder M Russell Ballard: I'm going to put pieces of it here and there and write a little blurb after.
"There is no one perfect way to be a good mother. Each situation is unique. Each mother has different challenges, different skills and abilities, and certainly different children. The choice is different and unique for each mother and each family. Many are able to be “full-time moms,” at least during the most formative years of their children’s lives, and many others would like to be. Some may have to work part- or full-time; some may work at home; some may divide their lives into periods of home and family and work. What matters is that a mother loves her children deeply and, in keeping with the devotion she has for God and her husband, prioritizes them above all else."
Hard to do sometimes but we try hard I'm thankful that in the harder we try the more we are blessed its hard to remember that on days like yesterday but we will be blessed in small ways and large ways we don't even know about right now!!
"We need to remember that the full commitment of motherhood and of putting children first can be difficult. Through my own four-generation experience in our family, and through discussions with mothers of young children throughout the Church, I know something of a mother’s emotions that accompany her commitment to be at home with young children. There are moments of great joy and incredible fulfillment, but there are also moments of a sense of inadequacy, monotony, and frustration. Mothers may feel they receive little or no appreciation for the choice they have made. Sometimes even husbands seem to have no idea of the demands upon their wives."
Sometimes they don't but when they try it means a lot. This will be the most overused quote on my blog I think but I love it because it says it like it really is inadequacy, monotony, and frustration so so true some days everyday feels like groundhog day the movie!
Maybe my favorite parts of this talk is this:: I'm so thankful that a man can put into words what we are feeling and have thought:::
"What more can a husband do to support his wife, the mother of their children?
First, show extra appreciation and give more validation for what your wife does every day. Notice things and say thank you—often. Schedule some evenings together, just the two of you. Second, have a regular time to talk with your wife about each child’s needs and what you can do to help.
Third, give your wife a “day away” now and then. Just take over the household and give your wife a break from her daily responsibilities. Taking over for a while will greatly enhance your appreciation of what your wife does. You may do a lot of lifting, twisting, and bending!"
Fourth, come home from work and take an active role with your family. Don’t put work, friends, or sports ahead of listening to, playing with, and teaching your children.
D is good at helping out giving me time and talking to me but there are times that everyday life gets so busy we forget to do these things. I love it when he comes home and plays with the kids, runs around chases them or reads to them its all our favorite time in this house. I am so THANKFUL for the time he makes and gives us in his busy busy schedule. He does a good job at it as busy as he is. They are some of the most important needed things that we all crave!!
This would would make all the difference some days:
What can children, even young children, do? Now, you children, please listen to me because there are some simple things you can do to help your mother.
You can pick up your toys when you are finished playing with them, and when you get a little older, you can make your bed, help with the dishes, and do other chores—without being asked.
You can say thank you more often when you finish a nice meal, when a story is read to you at bedtime, or when clean clothes are put in your drawers.
Most of all, you can put your arms around your mother often and tell her you love her.
When kolten heard this part it was so cute and got his attention love this part think I need to remind him of this part ha ha all of them!
This next part is what I really need to do find something I'm good at and learn about it cultivate it and do it whether you make or do something like make hair bows and tutus, or are a photographer or learning the art of it, its something your good at you enjoy and makes you feel accomplished like its your little niche. I need to find mine.
"even as you try to cut out the extra commitments, sisters, find some time for yourself to cultivate your gifts and interests. Pick one or two things that you would like to learn or do that will enrich your life, and make time for them. Water cannot be drawn from an empty well, and if you are not setting aside a little time for what replenishes you, you will have less and less to give to others, even to your children.
What a beautiful love filled honest real life awesome talk to all the mothers out there or to just every women. I love it these were my favorite parts {okay and maybe I should have put the part about less "days" soap operas and surfing the net I'll work on that. We all have something we need to work on right!!}
I AM SO thankful for a church that I belong to and love that helps us to be a better people, better mothers, better wives, better friends, and a better stronger family unit, a church that teaches us to serve others cause that is where real joy is. To take care of ourselves our bodies and to be clean in mind, body, and spirit. What a blessing I was born into. I'm so thankful for FRIENDS. I'm thankful for the phone calls on Sunday when we weren't at church and people noticed and then called to see how we were doing and if we needed anything, the dinners people brought were awesome and so appreciated, so Thankful for my wonderful sister who fed my kids lunch one day and put them down for naps so I could sleep. I'm thankful to be watched over, loved and cared about and it makes me want to be a better friend and person. To be more aware and intune to others to help when its needed. What would we do without friends.
Well have a great day and make it a good one. Do something for somebody else. It works.
What are you thankful for give it a try!!
"Friendship is what gets you through the bad times and helps you enjoy the good times"


4 comments:
Amen! You totally said it all Christal. Great Post!
Thanks for sharing ! You truely are a great example of a latter day saint MOM, Keep up the good work.
Can I just say I LOVE your Thankful Thursdays! Puts it all into perspective. Thanks for sharing, I always leave feeling uplifted. :)
Elder Ballard rocks. This was the talk I needed to hear this conference, that's for sure.
Post a Comment